Monday, September 12, 2011

My Latest Purchase

Considering the rate at which I purchase beer, this should easily become a recurring post. Given my occupation, I am in liquor and beer stores quite often and every time I see something rare or good in general, I need to pick it up.

My latest purchase: The Smoke from the Oak series from Captain Lawrence. They are three different beers. All porters and each aged in a different type of barrel. One in wine barrels. One in rum barrels. And the third in apple brandy barrels. This series was brewed only once so I consider myself lucky to be able to get my hands on it. I found them tucked away deep on a shelf at a liquor store in Clifton, New Jersey. All three bottles were packaged together along with a Captain Lawrence tulip glass.

Price tag: $70

I thought about walking away for a moment, then reconsidered. There was a fairly decent chance I would never come across these beers again. So I made my decision and took out my credit card.

I brought them home and hid them in my closet. I'll probably take them out from time to time to show my friends and family. They'll get bored with my story and I'll put them back in the closet. Will I drink them? Who knows. Remember, being a beer snob is more about possessing good beer than actually drinking it. No one wants to hear if you've "had" a certain beer, they just want to know is you "have" it.

And right now, I have these.

No comments:

Post a Comment