Friday, September 23, 2011

My Latest Purchase Part 2

I constantly write-off breweries. Constantly.

"Ew, Left Hand Brewery? I had one of their beers 5 years ago. It tasted terrible. I'll never have another one of their beers again. I'm assuming everything else they make is disgusting and they have not improved since they started."

That (see above) is me. I have a penchant for never giving a brewery a second chance. Which is the exact opposite of what a craft beer lover should do. Craft brewing is about experimentation and obviously, some beers are not going to hit the mark. You make mistakes so you can learn from them, avoid them in the future and evolve as a brewer.

What does this have to do with The Bruery? For about a six month period recently, I wrote them off altogether. And that was because of their beer Orchard White. I couldn't stand it. It was dull, overtly sour, and just not pleasing to the palate. And after the first few sips, I did what I had to do:

Poured it down the drain.

From that day forward, I promised myself I would never try another Bruery beer. But by my purchase today, I'm going to break that promise. In the photo above you will see Bruery's fall seasonal, Autumn Maple. While most breweries tinker with pumpkins this season, Bruery has decided to mess with another vegetable: yams. That's right yams. This beer is brewed with 17 lbs. of yams in each barrel alone with cinnamon, nutmeg, molasses, and maple syrup.

I'm very much looking forward to it and will report back on how it tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment