Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bell's Brewery Two Hearted Ale




If I told you where I got this beer someone would get in trouble. BIG TROUBLE. We all know that certain breweries don't have proper authorization to sell their beers in certain states. For instance, Captain Lawrence recently decided to stop selling their beer in New Jersey. Why? I have no idea. It was just their decision.

You know who else isn't allowed to sell their beer in New Jersey? Bell's Brewery. So how was I able to attain a bottle of Bell's Two Hearted American IPA in a store in NJ? I couldn't tell you. They just had it. I didn't ask questions. Obviously they had gotten it illegally and were subsequently selling it illegally. So I took advantage of their criminal behavior and snatched up the last six pack.

Michigan breweries have a fantastic reputation. Just ask Founders. A mere mention of the syllables KBS or CBS can make any beer lover's undergarments moist. Bell's Brewery is known mostly for their American Double IPA called Hopslam, which I'm told, rivals Pliny the Elder in terms of critical reception. But Two Hearted is no slouch, rendering an A rating on BeerAdvocate.com. I let one of the 12oz bottles warm up a bit before I tested it's A reputation.

Point of Order: I'm officially finished pouring my beers into any glass until I get a brandy snifter. Obviously unless it's bigger than a 12oz bottle. Look, I enjoy to look at the color of the beer, how the head looks, and whether or not there are any alcohol legs. But some beers are meant to be drank out of a bottle. This is one of those beers.

It's drinkable. VERY DRINKABLE. Like "Buy a six pack on Friday, have to buy another on Saturday" drinkable. It hit all the notes you would expect from an American IPA. It's loaded with fruit taste like grapefruit and citrus and had a limited hop taste considering. A "hop bomb", it isn't. Also, I've been told that there is some pineapple in there. Maybe on the finish? Back of the tongue? I guess I'm missing it.

All I know is, I'm going to need another beer to tell.

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment